Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Crews call for residents to take care in the kitchen

Publication date
12 July 2013
News release text
The dangers of leaving cooking unattended have once again been highlighted following a kitchen fire in Ashford. 
 
Crews were called to Centurion Walk shortly before 8pm last night (Thursday 11 July), after a pan of oil was left on the hob unattended and caught alight. 
 
Ashford Watch Manager, Mark Thomas, who attended the scene, explains: “When we arrived the fire was already spreading to the extractor fan above the oven and the surrounding units. We managed to quickly bring the blaze under control before removing smoke from the home with a positive pressure ventilation fan. 
 
“A nearby resident called us after hearing a smoke alarm sounding in the property. Given the speed in which the fire was beginning to spread there is little doubt that without their actions this incident had the potential to become far more serious.” 
 
Mark added: “While accidents can and do happen I would urge anyone cooking with hot oil to stay at the hob, and if you do need to leave the kitchen, ensure you take the pan away from the heat source. This incident also shows just how important it is to fit and maintain working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.” 
 
The fire caused damage to the oven, extractor fan, and kitchen units. The rest of the house also sustained light smoke damage. 
 
Residents are advised to follow these tips to prevent fires in the kitchen: 
 
Watch what you heat and don’t leave cooking unattended. 
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob 
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool 
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire 
Prevent children accidently turning on electric cookers by switching them off at the main after use 
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries weekly 
If there is a fire, don’t take risks by tackling it yourself. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service. 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon