News release text
Firefighters are reminding residents to take care when lighting bonfires and to dispose of rubbish carefully, after a large outdoor fire in Strood yesterday evening (Thursday).
Two fire engines attended a field just outside the Allhallows Caravan Park at 5:35pm after a nearby brazier fire caused approximately three acres of cut corn to catch alight. The blaze had spread through the dry field and was threatening local homes.
Crews used a hose reel jet and fire beaters to tackle the flames and spent 20 minutes damping the area down. The resident responsible for the brazier was also given fire safety advice at the scene.
Strood Crew Manager Ian Collins, who attended the scene, said: “With areas of grassland so dry at the moment fires will quickly spread causing damage to the local environment and potentially putting lives at risk.
“I would urge anyone lighting an open fire to think carefully about where it is being lit and ensure it is kept well away from any potential unintended fuel source.”
Take care with bonfires:
A bonfire should be positioned well away from any buildings, sheds and overhanging branches.
A bonfire should not be lit before any firework display unless the firework display is sufficiently far away to ensure stray sparks from the bonfire cannot fall into the firework area.
A bonfire should not contain any potentially hazardous materials which may explode or give off toxic fumes, such as; aerosols, batteries, bottles, foam-filled furniture or tins of paint.
A bonfire should be kept to a manageable size and evenly built so that is collapses inwards as it burns.
Always check the bonfire’s construction is still sound prior to lighting it, that there are no children or animals inside, and that hazardous items such as aerosols and fireworks have not been thrown onto it.
The bonfire should not be lit by children or left unattended and nothing should be cooked on it.
Flammable liquids such as petrol, diesel, methyalated spirits or white spirit should NEVER be poured onto the bonfire to light or revive it.