News release text
A Dartford woman thought to be in early 60’s, suffered smoke inhalation last night (Wednesday), after tackling a fire herself.
The woman had been alerted to the blaze after her smoke detector sounded and she smelt smoke. On investigation she discovered tea towels alight which had been left on a cooker hob.
Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the flat in Stone just before 6.30pm and Crew Manager, Gary Miller, said: “The woman immediately turned the cooker off and took the burning tea towels to a nearby sink and doused them with water.
“While the fire was only small, it produced a lot of smoke, filling her flat and spreading to the first floor communal corridor. Unfortunately, the woman breathed in quite a bit of smoke and we gave her oxygen therapy before handing her into the care of the ambulance service for precautionary checks.”
Fire crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the flat of smoke.
Gary added: “There are some important safety messages to come from this incident: make sure your cooker is switched off when not in use. Don’t leave tea towels or any other flammable items close to a heat source. Never attempt to tackle a fire yourself, you could get seriously hurt.- just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal and fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service can provide essential fire safety advice for you and your loved ones. Get in touch, it’s free of charge – even the phone call.