News release text
A puppy was rescued from a home in Canterbury this morning after the owner was called away leaving cooking on her hob.
A neighbour heard the woman’s smoke alarm sounding in the Oxford Road property and called 999.
Two fire engines were sent to the home at 10.37am and Canterbury Watch Manager Alison Aldridge said: “The homeowner had been cooking food for the puppy when she received a call from work that an alarm was sounding. She rushed off to investigate, forgetting to turn the pan off before she left her home.”
Crews in breathing apparatus went into the smoke filled kitchen, quickly found the puppy and brought it to safety before clearing the smoke and fumes using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Alison added: “This was a really unfortunate accident but shows a moment’s distraction can lead to a fire in your home. If you’ve got to leave the room turn the cooker off and have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.”
Crews were at the property for around 20 minutes but will be returning to the area to deliver home fire safety messages to neighbouring properties.