News release text
Firefighters were called to a tumble dryer fire in a Folkestone flat this morning (Monday) after a passer-by spotted smoke and raised the alarm.
After phoning the fire service at 10.08am the Good Samaritan alerted the Victoria Grove residents - a man who was asleep in the bedroom where the fire started and his partner who was downstairs.
Two fire engines from Folkestone arrived at the property within four minutes and crews went into the flat wearing breathing apparatus. A hose reel was used to extinguish the small fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke and fumes.
Folkestone Watch Manager, Andy Batchelor, said: “The occupants were very fortunate thanks to the quick actions of the passer-by. However, the situation could have ended very differently without his intervention as there were no smoke alarms fitted in the property.
“Don’t wait when it comes to the safety of your family, friends, and your home, fit working smoke alarms and test them regularly, they really are your best escape from fire and will help protect your family when every second counts.”
Crews spent time fitting working smoke alarms in the flat and delivering fire safety advice to neighbouring properties before leaving at around 10.45am.