News release text
A man’s been treated for slight burns to his hand after a kitchen fire in Sittingbourne shortly after midnight (16 August).
Two crews from Sittingbourne were sent to the house in Reams Way at 00:37am after the caller reported that a pan of fat in his oven had caught light.
Watch Manager Mark Innes said: “The man carried the pan into the garden so the fire was actually out when we arrived but he suffered slight burns to his hand in the process.
“We’re hoping others might learn from this incident; don’t leave cooking unattended, keep ovens and hobs clean where possible and if you are unfortunate to have a fire break out, don’t tackle it yourself but get out and call the fire service out.”
Crews were at the scene for almost 20 minutes while paramedics treated the man. No major damage was caused. Firefighters are also reminding residents to consider parking carefully as some poorly positioned vehicles meant the appliances had some difficulty getting to the house. They arrived 10 minutes after being mobilised.
Residents are reminded to follow these safety tips to avoid a kitchen fire occurring in their home:
Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.