News release text
An elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in her kitchen when cooking had been left unattended.
A crew from Sevenoaks was sent to the house in London Road, Dunton Green, at 8.30pm last night (Tuesday 6 August) after being alerted by the resident’s Careline alarm.
Watch Manager Danny Barrett said: “The woman, who we believe was in her late 70s, had left her pan unattended on the stove and it caught light. She removed the pan, breathing in smoke in the meantime, although she did manage to extinguish the fire so it was out when we arrived.”
The woman was treated for smoke inhalation by an ambulance crew while firefighters used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke and damage was limited to the pan but Danny Barrett says the incident highlights some important safety messages: “We urge residents never to leave their cooking unattended as this can easily cause a fire and the damage to your home can be extensive. We also advise people not to tackle fires themselves as it can mean major injuries, we suggest you call the fire service and get to safety.”
Residents are advised to follow these tips to prevent fires in the kitchen:
Watch what you heat and don’t leave cooking unattended.
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
Prevent children accidently turning on electric cookers by switching them off at the main after use
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries weekly
If there is a fire, don’t take risks by tackling it yourself. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.