News release text
A Folkestone family have their working smoke alarm to thank for giving them the early warning needed after fire broke out in their Dudley Road home.
It is believed a teenage boy had left a candle burning in his bedroom on the second floor while he was downstairs watching television. The candle fell over setting fire to a stereo speaker and unit, starting a slow smouldering fire.
It was only when his mother went up to get ready for bed, that she heard the smoke alarm sounding on the floor below. She quickly got her son and his two younger siblings out of their home and phoned the fire service.
Two fire engines were sent to the three-storey terraced house, the first arrived within five minutes of receiving the 999 call. Firefighters went into the house wearing breathing apparatus and put the blaze out using a hosereel. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to drive out heat and smoke.
Folkestone Watch Manager, Mick Dennis, said: “The smoke alarm closest to where the fire started had been removed because it was making an annoying bleeping noise as the batteries were low.
“All too often we are attending incidents where smoke alarms have no batteries or where there is no alarm fitted at all. It may seem like it will never happen to you, but fire can happen anywhere and to anyone. The best protection you can have is to fit these small life-saving devices on every floor of your home and test them regularly.
“It’s also vital for people to keep in mind how much damage candles can do and the importance of keeping an eye on them at all times.”
The damage was contained to the bedroom and a section of the ceiling had to be removed by crews to check for fire spread in the loft.
Local crews will be in the area handing out safety advice following this fire.