News release text
A man, thought to be in his late 20’s suffered minor burns this evening (Tuesday), following a bonfire mishap in his garden.
Fire crews from Ramsgate and Margate were called to reports of a bonfire exploding just before 5.30pm. The first fire engine arrived at the Nixon Road property within four minutes of receiving the 999 call.
Duty Area Manager, John Robertson, said: “It appears that the man used liquid fuel to try and light some unwanted rubbish that he wanted to burn. When he threw a lit match onto the rubbish, flammable vapours from the fuel flashed back and he suffered slight burns to his chest, face and arms.
“It’s very fortunate that he wasn’t more seriously injured because using flammable liquids to start bonfires or barbecues is incredibly dangerous. Having a bonfire or burning rubbish is not the only option; there are other ways to get rid of garden waste, like recycling or composting. These options are not only safer but also better for the environment as well.”
You can help avoid injuries and have a safer summer by following these tips:
Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries
Don’t’ leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with water
Always keep a bucket of water or hosepipe nearby in case of fire spread