News release text
Fire crews are warning residents not to try and tackle blazes themselves after an elderly Canterbury woman was left with smoke inhalation.
Two fire engines were sent to Ersham Road shortly after 6am this morning to reports that an electric heater had caught light. Crews were at the scene within five minutes and on arrival, found the woman – believed to be in her 90s – had already put the fire out herself and then called KFRS 20 minutes later.
Canterbury Watch Manager Alison Aldridge said: “It wasn’t a large fire but the woman inhaled a lot of smoke and after treatment from ourselves and paramedics, she was taken to hospital for a precautionary check. Our advice is simple if you discover a fire in your home; get out, stay out and call 999 to get the fire service out.”
It’s believed the fire was caused by a fault in the heater.