News release text
Firefighters have issued a safety warning after a 36-year-old man needed treatment for the effects of breathing in smoke from a chip pan that had been left on overnight.
Fire crews were called to flats in High Street, Chatham at 6.11am this morning (11 May), after smoke fumes set off the alarm system in the building, waking the man.
Finding the flat engulfed with fumes, he quickly got out and helped residents from other flats evacuate the building.
Three fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property. They discovered an overheated chip pan, which they safely removed from the flat. They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the property.
Strood crew manager Sam Comer said: “This incident highlights how easily accidents can happen, especially when cooking late at night. Fortunately, the fire alarm system in the property woke the occupier before fire broke out, however heavy smoke fumes from the unattended pan left the man with breathing difficulties.”
Crews gave the man oxygen therapy and an ambulance was sent to the scene.
Sam added: “I would urge residents to think carefully before they start cooking late at night, or when tired, and if they must do so, remember to stand by their pans to avoid the risk of starting a fire by becoming distracted, leaving the cooker on and falling asleep.”
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000.