News release text
Fire crews had a busy bank holiday after being called to two house fires and a garage fire in less than 24 hours.
At 9pm on Sunday (5 May) a Dartford resident phoned 999 after hearing the smoke alarms in her Mayfair Road home sounding. She went to investigate and found her living room curtains in flames. The woman quickly pulled the curtains down and left the property, along with her teenage son.
Dartford Crew Manager, Richard Cromarty, said: “The woman had forgotten she had left a scented candle burning on a radiator and closed the curtains. We took the smouldering curtains out of the house and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke and fumes, but it could have been a very different story without the working smoke alarm. It did its job and gave the early warning needed.”
The fire damaged wooden venetian blinds, the windowsill and burnt through the phone cable.
On Monday (6 May) a New Ash Green homeowner noticed his washing machine making funny noises while doing some laundry. He switched off the water and electricity, pulled the appliance out from under the work surface to see what the problem was. Finding it still steaming, he went to hang the washing out in the garden.
When he returned to his kitchen, the machine was alight and the room totally smoke logged with thick, black, acrid smoke. He phoned Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) and firefighters were quickly on the scene.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel and removed the washing machine before clearing smoke from the house. Two smoke alarms were fitted at the property and fire safety advice given to the homeowner and neighbours.
At 6.05pm the same evening, approximately 18 firefighters tackled a fire in a detached garage in School Lane. A man in his 40’s suffered burns trying to tackle the blaze which destroyed most of the garage and its contents and caused minor fire damage to the house.
Richard concluded: “Everyone is at risk of fire but having working smoke alarms in your home is the best protection you can have. Call Kent Fire and Rescue Service (free of charge from landlines) on 0800 923 7000 to find out about the range of free safety advice and services we offer or email firstname.lastname@example.org."