News release text
A Sevenoaks couple had a lucky escape this morning, after fire broke out in their first floor bathroom.
Fortunately, the homeowner smelt smoke close to 6.30am and went to investigate to find his bathroom units on fire.
After isolating the electrics and phoning the fire service, he got out of his house to safety with his wife and a friend who was staying at the property with them.
Two fire crews were sent to the house in Nutfields, Ightham and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out using a hose reel before ventilating the house of smoke and fumes with a positive pressure ventilation fan. A thermal imaging camera was used to enable crews to quickly find the seat of the fire and to check for hotspots.
The blaze was extinguished just after 7am but crews remained at the house until almost 7.30am damping down hot spots and assisting with salvage work.
Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “The occupiers did exactly the right thing in getting out of the property the moment the fire was discovered. My advice to anyone unfortunate to have a fire break out in their home is always: get out, stay out and call the fire service.”
The blaze, believed to have started by a fault in the under floor heating, destroyed the bathroom and caused heavy smoke damage to the first floor of the house.
Danny added: “You can help keep your family safe from fire by fitting working smoke alarms on each floor of your home and making a fire escape plan that everyone in your home knows.”