News release text
Crews are praising the actions of a Queenborough resident after a fire broke out in her home in the early hours of Sunday morning (3 February).
Two fire engines attended Moat Way at 5:20am after a bathroom heater overheated and caught alight. The occupier, a woman believed to be in her seventies, discovered the fire and closed the bathroom door before calling the emergency services.
On arrival, crews tackled the fire with a hose reel jet and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to remove smoke from the property. The fire was contained within the bathroom, which suffered extensive heat and smoke damage.
The woman was treated at the scene by ambulance crews and taken to hospital as a precaution.
Sheppey Watch Manager, Andy Bridger-Smart, said: “Without a doubt the actions of the occupier prevented this incident from becoming far more serious. By simply closing the bathroom door the woman prevented the fire spreading and therefore limited the damage it caused.
“I would encourage all residents to plan ahead and ensure everyone in their household is aware of what do if a fire breaks out in your home. This includes knowing escape routes, closing internal doors and not re-entering the building until it is safe to do so.”