News release text
An elderly woman has her quick thinking neighbours to thank for saving her life after a fire broke out in her Meopham bungalow this morning (Friday).
The woman, believed to be 80 years old, was asleep when the fire broke out and was woken by her neighbours who rushed across the road and managed to rouse her by banging on the door. They led her to safety and phoned the fire service.
Four fire engines from Thames-side, Dartford and Strood were sent to the property in New Road just after 6am. Crews used two main jets, a hose reel and a hydrant to tackle the blaze, which started in the roof space and spread to the ground floor.
Thames-side Watch Manager, Ray Kilbourne, said: “This was a serious fire and the bungalow was almost destroyed. The first crew could see the flames from about half a mile away. Without the quick actions of the neighbours, the lady may not have survived, as the fire spread very quickly.
“This fire demonstrates how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. They stand guard around the clock and when they sense smoke, sound a shrill alarm, giving people the precious but limited time they need to escape.”
The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in the loft, causing 100 per cent fire damage to the roof and 80 per cent to the ground floor.
The blaze was extinguished by 8.30am but crews remained at the scene until just after 11am, damping down hot spots and assisting with salvage work.