News release text
Firefighters are reminding residents that fitting a smoke alarm really can save your life following a fire in Hythe today.
Four fire engines were sent to Seabrook Court shortly before midday after a fire broke out in the annex of a bungalow. On arrival crews wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets, two main jets and a hydrant to tackle the blaze. Covering jets were also used in order to prevent the flames from spreading to a neighbouring property.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault and the roof of the bungalow was severely damaged.
Folkestone Watch Manager, Mick Dennis, Said “Hearing the smoke alarm sounding helped give the two residents and their pet dog enough time to get out of their home safely and alert the emergency services.
“Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets with very little warning. For this reason I would strongly recommend that residents have working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes and test them regularly.”