News release text
A fire is thought to have started after a dog accidentally turned on the hob in a Dartford home this afternoon (Tuesday).
Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the two-storey house in Willow Road at 12.13pm after the homeowner called 999.
Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire with a hose reel jet. A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear the smoke from the property.
Firefighters discovered that the homeowner had been doing some laundry and had left the next load on top of the hob. She then went to collect her daughter from nursery and returned to find smoke coming out of her house.
Dartford Watch Manager, Bob Chilmaid, said: “After calling the fire service, the woman entered her home and brought her Rottweiler dog out to safety but suffered smoke inhalation in the process. We gave her oxygen therapy and she was then taken to hospital by ambulance crews for precautionary checks.
“Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious so don't put yourself at risk by stopping to investigate the fire or to collect pets or valuables. Just tell the fire crews when they arrive – we’ll be able to find them quicker and more safely than you.
He added: “The safest option is to make sure cookers and other appliances are always fully switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.”
The fire destroyed 20 per cent of the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout the house.