News release text
A couple had to be rescued from the roof top of a Ramsgate building after fire broke out in a first floor flat this morning (Saturday).
The resident on the second floor was woken by the smoke alarm sounding in the communal staircase. He went to investigate but found the first floor flat heavily smoke logged and was forced back by the smoke and heat, so quickly got out of the building to safety.
He called the fire service at 6.53am and the first fire engine from Ramsgate was at the four-storey Harbour Street property within four minutes, closely followed by pumps from Ramsgate, Margate and an aerial appliance.
While the breathing apparatus team searched the property, crews used two hose reels and a covering jet to extinguish the blaze in the unoccupied first floor flat.
Ramsgate Crew Manager, Tim Oliver, said: “When the fire alarm sounded a couple from the top floor flat, realised their only means of escape was to go up to the roof as the stairs were filled with thick black smoke. We used the aerial appliance to bring them both down unhurt.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s Group Manager, Russ Jordan added: “When firefighters arrived it was a well developed fire and crews did an excellent job of stopping the fire spreading and limiting the damage to the unoccupied flat.”
The room where the fire broke out was destroyed by fire and the rest of the flat suffered smoke damage.
Crews remain at the scene damping down.