News release text
A woman thought to be in her 50’s was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after her microwave caught alight in Margate earlier this week.
The fire is believed to have started after a tea towel was draped over the vents of the microwave, causing it to overheat and catch alight.
Two fire engines from Margate went to the flat in Northdown Avenue on Tuesday, (29 July) just after 7pm and arrived within 3 minutes of receiving the 999 call. Crews in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out and a special fan to clear smoke and ventilate the property.
Margate Watch Manager, Nikki Escudier, said: “Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines when using an electrical appliance and make sure you don’t cover or block vents on microwaves or store anything directly on top that could cause it to overheat and catch fire.
“Fortunately the property had working smoke alarms and these small life-saving devices, really are your best defence against the devastating effects of a fire in your home. Make sure you fit them on every floor of your home and test them regularly - it only takes a minute but could provide you with the valuable extra seconds needed to get out safely.”
Fire damage was limited to a kitchen cupboard, tiled wall and worktop, there was also minimal smoke damage in the flat.
An ambulance was also sent to the house, and the woman was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.
Call us today for more home fire safety advice on 0800 923 7000.