News release text
Firefighters are reminding Kent householders of the importance of making sure cigarettes are completely stubbed out before they are thrown away, after a fire in Darenth on Monday, (28 July).
Two fire crews from Dartford were called to a house in Darenth Wood Road just after 11.30am, after the resident returned to her home to find her kitchen full of smoke. Red Watch Crew Manager, Julian Light, said: “The woman did exactly the right thing, she closed the door on the blaze which stopped the fire spreading and called us out.”
Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the blaze with a hose reel, then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.
The fire which damaged the cupboard, sink and work surface is thought to have started after an ashtray was emptied by a family member into an under sink rubbish bin.
Julian added: “Tobacco burns at very high temperatures – it’s designed to stay lit and can smoulder for ages. If you are a smoker, it’s vital that when you put your cigarette out, you make sure it really is out and that you dispose of it carefully whether you’re at home or outdoors.”
You can get free fire safety advice, call Kent Fire and Rescue Service today on 0800 923 7000 and help keep your family safe from fire or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.