News release text
A woman and her three children followed fire safety advice earlier today (16 July) when a fire broke out in their home in East Malling.
Two fire engines were called to the two floor property on Addison Close at 3am after a fridge freezer set up in a utility room overheated and caught alight.
Larkfield Watch Manager Mitchell Kelly, who attended the incident, explains: “The family were out of the property when we arrived so we were able to concentrate on tackling the fire knowing that everyone had got out safely. The fire had spread from the utility room to the kitchen where crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames and removed the smoke that had caused damage to the rest of the home.”
It is believed that the fridge overheated, after being fitted into a space which was too small to allow adequate ventilation.
Mitchell added: “The family had given themselves the best possible chance of getting out safely by having smoke alarms fitted which sounded once the fire started. They also did the right thing in making getting out of their home as their first priority.
“People are often surprised that appliances that involve cold or water such as fridges or washing machines can catch fire, but in fact fires in all kinds of electrical equipment can break out unexpectedly. I would encourage people to follow the manufactures instructions, including when deciding on where to place appliances, and ensure enough room is allowed for ventilation."
Crews returned to the local area this afternoon, providing safety advice to nearby residents.