News release text
Fat residue on a cooker is being blamed for a kitchen fire in Broadstairs last night (Tuesday).
Two fire engines were sent to Albion Road at 6.04pm and crews arrived within five minutes of receiving the 999 call from the resident. Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the small fire and a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots.
A build up of fat is thought to have overheated setting fire to the oven.
Margate Watch Manager, Paul Ward said: “Fortunately the woman discovered the fire but was also alerted by working smoke alarms in the two-storey house. She did exactly the right thing in calling the fire service out.
“She was unharmed and the damage was limited to the kitchen ceiling tiles, work surface and the cooker. Unattended cooking and a build up of fat and food residue on cooking appliances is a common cause of fires that can have serious consequences. The best way to deal with grease fires is to prevent them. Be proactive and not reactive and follow the basic fire safety tips below to keep safe from fire.”
Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops.
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob.
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool.
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire.
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly.
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.
Pick up the phone and call us for free on 0800 923 7000 for get more fire safety advice here.