Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Home > News > News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Ramsgate bedroom fire prompts candle warning

Publication date
01 July 2014
News release text
1 July 2014 
Firefighters are warning residents to take extra care with candles following a fire in Ramsgate this morning (1 July). 
Crews were called to a house in Rossland Road and tackled a small fire in a bedroom. It is believed that the blaze started when a bedside candle accidently came in to contact with the bedding. 
On discovering the fire, the occupant quickly left the room and closed the door behind her. She then got out of the property and raised the alarm. 
Two fire engines were sent to the scene. Fire crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the fire. 
The bedroom and its contents were damaged by heat and smoke, but the remainder of the property was unaffected. 
Watch Manager David Halls said: “The woman did all the right things when she realised there was a fire. By getting out quickly and shutting the bedroom door, she stopped the fire and smoke from spreading to the rest of the property.” 
He added: “As this incident highlights, particular care needs to be taken when using candles in your home. Always ensure they are placed on a heat-proof surface and positioned away from curtains, bedding and clothing.” 
Follow these candle safety tips: 
Candles should be fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface 
Do not leave burning candles unattended - especially with young children or pets in the house 
Do not place burning candles close to curtains, bedding or clothing which might catch fire 
Do not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor 
Extinguish all candles before going to bed 
Do not place burning candles where they might be knocked over 
Buy ceramic containers that are well ventilated, containers will get very hot and may make the flame larger and cause it to flare up 
Do not allow anything to fall into the molten wax as this can form a secondary wick 
Do not move candles when they are alight or while the wax is molten 
Remember - Don't forget to buy a smoke alarm and test it regularly. 
Fore further free fire safety advice and information about our free services call us for free on 0800 923 7000 or email
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon