News release text
A Goudhurst family had to leave their beds and vacate their home during the night after their dishwasher caught alight.
Fortunately, the two adults and three children were alerted to the fact that something was wrong by their smoke alarm sounding at around 12.35am. The family managed to get out of their Ranters Lane home to safety with their two pet dogs and phoned 999.
Two fire engines from Cranbrook and Tunbridge Wells were sent to the house and firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel.
Cranbrook Watch Manager Andy Parks said: “This family did all the right things, they had working smoke alarms in their home, which gave them the valuable time needed to escape, they closed the doors on the fire as they left their home, which limited the fire spread and damage to their kitchen and they phoned the fire service to deal with the blaze, rather than attempting to tackle it themselves.”
The dishwasher was destroyed and some of the kitchen units were damaged by the fire. Crews used a special fan to clear the smoke and fumes from the two-storey house and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. They also provided fire safety advice to the family before leaving the scene at around 2am.
Kent Fire Rescue Service works hard to help prevent fires before they start. For more fire safety advice call 0800 923 7000 free from a landline or get more advice here.