News release text
Firefighters are reminding people to be careful with candles after a man burnt his hands in Canterbury this morning.
Two crews from Canterbury were called to the Queens Avenue house at 3am this morning and Watch Manager, Alison Aldridge said: “A man, believed to be about 50 had lit a tea light, when he came home from work, which he’d left burning on a wooden shelf above his bed before going to sleep. While he was sleeping it had dropped on to the bedding sparking the small fire.
“Fortunately, the semi-detached house had working smoke alarms, which alerted one of the other occupants who phoned 999.”
Ambulance crews treated the man at the scene before taking him to hospital.
Alison added: “The fire damage was limited to the bedding, mats and rugs in the bedroom but could have been a lot worse. We want to help everyone keep themselves, and their homes safe from the threat of fire, so if you have to use tea lights, please use them carefully.”
Follow this simple advice when using tea lights;
Always place the tea light in a suitable holder on a heat resistant surface
Never place on a TV, stereo, bath or other plastic surface
Don’t let anything fall into the hot wax
Keep tea lights well away from anything that could easily catch fire e.g. never place under a shelf
Keep tea lights away from draughts
Keep tea lights away from children and pets
Never leave a tea light unattended
Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home