News release text
A Maidstone resident has her neighbour to thank for raising the alarm when they spotted smoke coming from a house in Cherry Orchard Way this morning (25 June).
The resident then discovered a small fire in an upstairs bedroom, which is believed to have been started by an unattended candle.
Two fire engines were called to the scene at 9.50am, but the fire had been put out before they arrived.
Damage was contained to the carpet and part of the wall.
Maidstone Watch Manager Chris Puxted said: “This incident could have been so much worse it the neighbour hadn’t noticed the smoke. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm upstairs was not working. Without the early warning, the fire would have could have developed into a potentially life-threatening incident.
“I would like to remind resident to check that their smoke alarms are working. I would also urge people to take extra care with candles, ensure they are placed on a heatproof surface and to avoid leaving them unattended.”
Firefighters gave fire safety advice to the occupants at the scene and replaced smoke alarms in the property.
To keep your alarms in working order follow these tips:
Test your smoke alarm by pushing the button on the first of every month
Check the packaging for your smoke alarm to make sure it’s still up to date
Make sure there is at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home
Fit smoke alarms on landings and hallways and in rooms which have an electrical appliance, e.g. a heater, or other risk
Take a moment to check on your loved ones who may need help to ensure they’re fully protected.
For further information on the free advice and services Kent Fire and Rescue Service provides call 0800 923 7000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.