News release text
It was a case of smoke and mirrors when a shaving mirror set light to a shed roof in Tonbridge yesterday morning (24 June 2014).
A passer-by noticed smoke coming from the roof of the shed, which is used by houseboat residents as a workshop and washing area, in Barden Road just after 9am.
They immediately dialled 999 and two fire engines promptly arrived at the scene. Firefighters put out the fire with a hose reel.
Tonbridge watch manager Martin Rowland said: “This was a slightly unusual incident as we believe the fire was due to heat from sunlight reflecting off of a concave shaving mirror positioned on an outside wall. It shone onto the roof felt, catching it alight.”
He added: “Thankfully, due to the swift actions of a member of the public in alerting us to the incident, we were able to deal with the fire before it spread and the damage was limited to around half of the roof.
“Fires of this type are relatively rare, but we would ask residents to think carefully about ensuring mirrors and other reflective glass objects are positioned away from direct sunlight.”