News release text
An elderly couple were treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire in Margate – the second incident in the Thanet area within two days.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 9.25pm last night (11 June) to reports of a small fire in the ground floor kitchen of a flat in King Street. The first fire engine arrived at the three storey building within three minutes, closely followed by a second pump and crews wore breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.
Margate Crew Manager Steven Quincey said: “The fire started in a saucepan but fortunately the alarm was raised by the smoke alarm sounding and the couple managed to get out and alert a passer-by who called us. The flat was completely smoke-logged and the couple needed oxygen for smoke inhalation so we attended to them until an ambulance arrived. This incident highlights how quickly a fire can break out and we urge residents to be vigilant, especially as this is the second callout this week to a kitchen fire.”
The earlier incident happened at 3pm on Tuesday in Gloucester Avenue, Broadstairs, when an elderly woman fell asleep after accidentally switching her oven on which caused a pan to overheat and filled her home with smoke.
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.
KFRS kitchen safety tips include:
Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.