Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Crews continue to attend cooking fire across the county

Publication date
02 June 2014
News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is continuing to remind residents of the dangers of becoming distracted while cooking following two kitchen fires last night. 
 
A man, believed to be in his 30’s, was treated for smoke inhalation following a fire in his flat on Beltinge Road in Herne Bay. Crews were called to the address at just after midnight by a concerned neighbour who noticed a burning smell coming from the property. 
 
On arrival, firefighters gained access to the flat and in the process, woke up the occupier who had fallen asleep while cooking, causing the grill to burn. The fumes in the flat were ventilated and the grill removed. The man did not require any further medical attention. 
 
Earlier that evening, two fire engines from Maidstone went to a bungalow in Maidstone Road in Sutton Valence after a pan of oil caught alight on the hob after the occupier had become distracted. Crews arrived at the scene shortly before 8pm and tackled the fire with a hose reel jet before removing smoke from the property with a positive pressure ventilation fan. No-one was injured and damage was restricted to the kitchen area. 
 
KFRS Community Safety Manager, Charlie Smith, said; “These incidents once again show the importance of not leaving cooking unattended. If you’re preparing a cooked meal and have to leave the kitchen for a few minutes, for example to make a phone call or answer the door, always ensure you remove the food from the heat source to prevent the pan overheating. 
 
“It’s particularly dangerous to start cooking if your feeling tired, in these situations it’s often far safer to either prepare a cold snack or get a take-away rather then potentially putting yourself at risk by cooking and then falling asleep. 
 
“Finally, accidents can and will happen, so ensure a smoke alarm is fitted on every floor of your home and tested regularly to help give you enough time to get out of your property safely in the event of fire.” 
 
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon