News release text
The milder weather may be leading residents to spend more time in their gardens but firefighters are asking Sevenoaks residents to keep safety in mind after two fires on Bank Holiday Monday.
In the first incident, a woman from Shoreham Lane, Riverhead had disposed of what were thought to be cool barbecue coals in her garden the previous evening, gone indoors and woke the following morning to find a large quantity of fencing and garden waste on fire.
One fire engine was sent to the property at 7.36am and crews used a hosereel jet to quickly bring the blaze under control.
Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “Every year firefighters are called to fires caused by barbecues that have either got out of control, been left unattended or discarded before they are cool. We want people to enjoy the opportunities the good weather brings but safety is a key ingredient if you want your barbecue to be a success.”
Later the same day, crews were called to Bradbourne Vale Road, Sevenoaks just after 5pm, after a carelessly discarded cigarette set fire to a plastic bin, destroying fencing and a leaf shredder.
Danny added: “Cigarettes and smoking materials should always be stubbed out properly before they are thrown away. Both of these incidents show how quickly a fire can start and the potential they have to spread to nearby property. Fire safety shouldn’t stop when you leave your home.”