Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Woman suffers smoke inhalation after chip pan fire

Publication date
26 March 2014
News release text
Firefighters are reminding people about the dangers of using chip pans after a woman in Shoreham had to be treated for smoke inhalation this morning. 
 
Two fire engines were called to the first floor flat in Palmers Orchard at 10.36am. Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “The woman, thought to be in her early 20’s, had been cooking with an old fashioned chip pan, when the oil in the pan overheated, causing it to ignite. 
 
“Unfortunately, she attempted to tackle the small fire by pouring water onto the hot oil, something you should never do as it heats up, expands, turns to steam and rises in big steam clouds. Each particle of steam is coated in burning oil and if you’re near it, you can be badly burned. The fire created lots of smoke and she needed to be given oxygen therapy.” 
 
Crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the flat. Fortunately, only the pan was destroyed by the fire but the kitchen and rest of the flat was damaged by smoke. 
 
Danny concluded: “My advice is to throw away your old style chip pan - thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers are a far safer option and always stand by your pan while you’re cooking. Make sure you have working smoke alarms; they really are your first line of defence in the event of fire in your home. 
 
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon