News release text
Around 23 firefighters battled a bonfire in Brookland, near New Romney, that had got out of control last night (Thursday 20 March).
Four fire engines and a water unit were sent to Salters Lane at 7.43pm and found that the bonfire had spread to a neighbouring garage where the whole of the roof was alight and the heat and flames had damaged soffits, guttering and part of the window frame of a neighbouring property.
Crews in breathing apparatus used a main jet and hose reel and managed to bring the blaze under control by 8.25pm and were damping down for a further hour.
New Romney Watch Manager, Allan Brown, said: “When building a bonfire make sure it’s away from property, fences or trees and never leave any fire unattended. If your bonfire gets out of control, never try to tackle it yourself, you could end up getting hurt. Always call the fire and rescue service who are trained to deal with these types of incidents.”
By following the safety tips below, you can help avoid injuries and damage to your property:
Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries
Keep bonfires to a manageable size and evenly built so that they collapse inwards as they burn
Always check the bonfire’s construction is still sound prior to lighting it
Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out
If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of an emergency.