News release text
Firefighters rescued a Staffordshire Bull Terrier from a Northfleet flat this morning after fire broke out in the kitchen.
Luckily for Harvey, a grey coloured pooch, a neighbour at Wallis Park smelt the smoke while out on his balcony and raised the alarm at 9.20am.
Three fire engines arrived at the flat within six minutes of receiving the 999 call and firefighters in breathing apparatus searched the property and discovered the dog. They used a hose reel to tackle the fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke and fumes from the flat.
The residents were out of their home at the time but it is thought the fire started after the cooker was accidentally left switched on with something stored on top of it.
Thames-side Watch Manager, Vicki Brown, said: “Get into the habit of doing a last minute check when you leave your home or go to bed at night. Check that all appliances are turned off and never store items on or too close to the hob – its best kept clutter free.
“Close all internal doors in the property as this well help limit the fire spread and may well help save your life if fire breaks out overnight while you are asleep and most importantly, fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.”