News release text
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to take care in the kitchen after attending two fires within the space of an hour yesterday evening (Wednesday).
Two fire engines were called to Tattlebury Lane in Headcorn at 5:15pm, after a basket full of clothing being stored on the cooker caught alight when the hob was accidentally switched on. Thankfully the resident was able to pour water on the basket before the fire was able to spread and crews remained at the scene for around 15 minutes ensuing the basket was fully extinguished and there were no further fire concerns.
Approximately an hour later (6:16pm), crews in Margate were called to Ethelbert Crescent when a pan of hot oil being stored within a grill overheated and caught alight. The smoke alarm sounding alerted the occupier who quickly turned off the grill and called 999. On arrival firefighters removed smoke from the property and ensured the fire hadn’t spread further then the pan. It’s believed the grill had been accidentally switched on rather then the hob.
Community Safety Manager Charlie Smith said: “Fortunately no one was seriously injured in these incidents and there was minimal damage to the properties, however they demonstrate how fire can breakout when you least expect it.
“For this reason, we are urging residents to take extra care in the kitchen and not store flammable items either on the hob or within the oven itself. It is also vital to make sure you fit smoke alarms on each floor of your home and test them regularly, so that they can give you early warning to a fire.”
Help stay safe in the kitchen by following these simple tips:
Keep the oven, hob, toaster and grill clean – a build-up of fat, crumbs or grease can easily catch fire.
When cooking, take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire.
Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Never leave children alone in the kitchen.
Keep matches, lighters and saucepan handles where children can’t reach them, and fit a safety catch on the oven door.
Don’t leave pans on the hob when you’re not around. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen.
When you have finished cooking, make sure you switch off the oven and hob.
If oil has overheated; turn off the heat, put the lid on, and leave to cool down. If a fire has started, get out, stay out and call 999. Close doors as you leave.