Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Fire in bedroom caused by overheated TV

Publication date
26 February 2014
News release text
A man is likely to need rehousing after fire broke out in his Gillingham home this morning. 
 
Two fire engines from Medway were sent to the two bedroomed maisonette in Beechings Way just before 11.30am, after the resident returned home to find smoke billowing out of his property. 
 
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze using a hose reel jet before clearing the smoke with a special fan. Once they had damped down the fire, they scanned the room with a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. 
 
Medway Watch Manager, Jim Ramsden, said: “The man had left his TV and DVD player propped up by clothing on his chest of drawers in the bedroom. It appears he then went out leaving the TV on but the air vent was covered up by the clothing, causing it to overheat and set fire to the clothes. 
 
“This incident highlights some important safety tips - always make sure your appliances are sufficiently ventilated so that heat can get away. Fit working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and get into the habit of closing internal doors when you go out or at bedtime. That way, if you are unfortunate enough to have a fire, it will help limit the fire spread.” 
 
The entire property was damaged by smoke. 
 
Firefighters will be visiting neighbouring properties giving home fire safety advice..
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon