News release text
An electrical fault in a slow cooker resulted in firefighters being called out to a Canterbury home this morning.
Two crews from Canterbury were sent to the terraced house in Tudor Road at 5.14am to deal with the blaze. Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out and a special fan to clear smoke and fumes from the ground floor kitchen.
Canterbury Watch Manager, Scott Pearce, said: “The elderly lady and her daughter living in the property were woken by a loud crack and bang. They went down to investigate the noise and found their slow cooker, which had been left on overnight had malfunctioned, sparking a fire.
“The women did exactly the right thing, they closed the kitchen door which limited the damage, left their home and called the fire service. We were able to quickly put the fire out and safely locate a missing cat.”
The women were a little shaken after their ordeal but neither were hurt. The fire damage was limited to the slow cooker, a toaster, radio, worktop and walls. The kitchen was also damaged by smoke and heat.
Scott added: “Fires can break out in electrical appliances with very little warning. It’s always worth getting your electrical appliances checked by a competent electrician, especially if you’ve had the appliance for some time.”
Crews fitted two smoke detectors in the house and delivered fire safety advice to neighbouring properties.