News release text
Firefighters were called to Rockdale Road in Sevenoaks yesterday afternoon (Thursday) after a carer, helped the woman from her flat.
Crews from Sevenoaks were called to the property at 3.09pm and on arrival found a small fire involving a tea towel left on the hob.
Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “The woman, thought to be in her mid 80’s had attempted to put the fire out herself but it reignited, filling her kitchen with smoke. Fortunately, her flat had working smoke alarms which alerted a carer elsewhere in the building to the danger, who came to her aid and led her to safety.”
The woman was treated for shock and smoke inhalation as a precaution and did not require hospital treatment.
Danny added: “Older people are most at risk if a fire breaks out in their home. It’s not the heat but the smoke which is most dangerous to them, as their bodies are less able to cope. We can help keep your loved ones safe this winter. Get in touch so we can give essential fire safety advice which is tailored to their homes, needs and lifestyle. It’s all free of charge – even the phone call.”
Call Kent Fire and Rescue Service today on 0800 923 7000, email your contact details to email@example.com or visit www.saferwinter.info