News release text
A bedroom fire in Sheerness which led to a woman needing treatment for smoke inhalation is believed to have been caused by a cigarette.
Three fire engines were sent to Alexandra Road shortly after 10pm on Saturday night (25 January). Sheppey Crew Manager Paul Ross said: “We believe the fire was started by a discarded cigarette and it built up slowly over a period of time because the bedroom door was closed but the fire finally broke through the window and then the door itself before spreading across the whole of the first floor.
“Fortunately the smoke alarm sounded downstairs as the one upstairs wasn’t working and the resident realised what was happening and was extremely lucky to get out before it turned into a major blaze.”
The woman, who’s believed to be in her 60s, was taken to hospital for a precautionary check after inhaling smoke. Fire crews remained at the scene until almost 11.30pm.