News release text
The importance of fitting smoke alarms in your home have once again been highlighted following a fire in Tunbridge Wells this afternoon (Monday).
Firefighters were called to Erskine Park Road shortly before 12:30pm after a fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom. On arrival crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to tackle the flames and removed smoke from the property with a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Watch Manager Robert Gardner, who attended the incident, said: “We believe the fire started after an electrical fault in the bedroom caused clothing in a wardrobe to catch alight. The first floor of the property was heavily smoke logged and around 30 per cent of the bedroom was damaged by fire.
“Although the smoke alarm alerted the resident to what was going on there was a delay in it sounding due to it being fitted at an angle above the stairs. Thankfully the occupant was able to get out unharmed but given the large amount of smoke it could have been far more serious if the family had been asleep upstairs when the clothes caught alight.
“We recommend that smoke alarms are always fitted on the celling and preferably in the middle of a room or hallway.
“While the occupier on this occasion was unaware of the fault I would also encourage anyone who has concerns regarding the electrical installation in their home to contact a qualified electrician as soon as possible.”