News release text
Firefighters are reminding residents of the importance of not overloading extension leads in their homes, after a fire in Elham this afternoon (Sunday).
Two fire engines were called to a three-storey property in Park Lane at 1.07pm, after a plug socket caught alight in a first floor bedroom.
Folkestone Watch Manager, John Howard, said: "The family had two multi-way extension leads connected together, with a variety of electrical appliances plugged in. As a result, the cable overheated sparking a fire.
"Fortunately they discovered the blaze and got out of their home to safety, closing the door as they left. This prevented the fire spreading and limited the damage."
Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to tackle the fire. They also fitted new smoke alarms in the house and delivered safety advice to neighbouring properties.
John added: "Most people have extension leads in their homes to increase the number of electrical appliances they can plug into a wall socket. However, just because there's space to plug in four appliances, it doesn't mean it's always safe to do so.”
You can get useful tips on keeping safe from fire and find out how to avoid overloading your sockets from Kent Fire and Rescue Service or call us for free on 0800 923 7000.