News release text
Firefighters are praising the swift actions of a neighbour who helped a man in his nineties get to safety after a fire broke out in his home this morning (9 January).
Crews were called to Montague Road at just after 10am following a bathroom fire believed to have started when clothing being dried above a gas heater caught alight.
Ramsgate Crew Manager, Paul Cook, who attended the incident, said: “Prior to us being called a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding next door and went to investigate. He heard the occupier having difficulty getting out the front door so assisted leading the man to safety before calling the emergency services.
“Given the smoke layer was already down to waist height throughout the ground floor when we arrived the neighbour’s assistance probably saved the occupiers life.”
Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and quickly tackled the fire with a hose reel jet. They then cleared smoke from the home with a positive pressure ventilation fan and used new thermal imaging equipment to ensure the fire was completely out.
Both the occupier and neighbour were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to hospital. The Red Cross Team were also in attendance.
Paul added: “While it may seem practical, drying clothes above a gas heater can be extremely dangerous as they can easily catch alight. I would also encourage residents to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home as these not only give you warning that a fire has broken out but also alert others to what is going on as well.”