News release text
As households prepare to festoon their homes for the festive period, firefighters are warning residents to take extra care if they are making their own decorations.
This follows a fire on Monday evening (25 November) in Folkestone, that broke out while a resident was melting down wax in a saucepan to make homemade Christmas candles.
Festive candle © PHOTOPOLITAIN - Fotolia.comFire crews were called to a fire in kitchen in St Georges Road at 8:13pm, after the pan of wax overheated and caught fire. The resident moved the pan from the hob to the sink and threw a fire blanket over the flames, before closing the door and raising the alarm.
Crews in breathing apparatus entered the smoke-logged kitchen and extinguished the fire which had spread to the cupboard under the sink. They used a fan to remove the smoke from the house and provided safety advice to the resident. They also checked the smoke alarms in the property and replaced one of the smoke alarms that was not working.
Folkestone Crew Manager Heather Heath said: “Although fire and smoke caused some damage to the kitchen, the occupants actions in closing the door on the fire and swiftly raising the alarm limited the damage to their home.
“However, as this incident shows, when wax is overheated it can easily ignite and it is fortunate that no one was injured. I would urge anyone using candles or doing any crafts involving heating wax to take extra care to prevent it catching fire.”
She added: “The advice to anyone carrying out candle crafts would be to place the wax in a heat proof container that has been placed in a second pan of water, rather than placing the wax in a pan with heat directly beneath it. This way the wax would not get so hot, however it should still be handled with extreme care and never left unattended.”
For further free fire safety advice by call Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000, email your contact details to email@example.com or visit our safety pages.