News release text
The potentially life saving benefits of fitting a smoke alarm in your home have once again been highlighted following a kitchen fire in Headcorn last night (Saturday).
Two fire engines were called to Forge Meadows shortly before 8pm after a plastic container that had been placed on an electric hob caught alight when the hob was accidentally switched on.
Maidstone Watch Manager, Dominic Moore, said: “Both residents became aware of the fire after hearing their smoke alarm sounding. On discovering what was happening they quickly closed the kitchen door, got out of their home, and called for the emergency services.
“This incident shows just how important fitting and maintaining a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home really is. The early warning gave the occupiers, and their two dogs, enough time to leave their property safely before the fire spread any further.
“The residents did well in remembering to close the kitchen door behind them as this reduced the amount of smoke damage throughout their home. However I would encourage people not to store items on electric hobs as accidents like this can and will happen.”
Crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire with a hose reel jet before removing the remaining smoke from the property with a positive pressure ventilation fan . The fire caused damage throughout the kitchen including to the hob and nearby fridge freezer.