News release text
Two fire engines were called to a house in Broadmead Road at around 7.30pm on Sunday (17 November) and crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled a fire in the ground floor kitchen.
It is thought that a tray of hot oil overheated and set light to the oven, but the occupants only realised what had happened when they went to check on the dinner, as there were no smoke alarms to alert them to the fire.
Crews managed to contain the blaze to the kitchen, which destroyed the oven and caused heat and smoke damage. The couple escaped uninjured, as they got out and called the fire service, however they were advised not to stay in their home overnight as there was also slight smoke damage throughout the remainder of the property.
Folkestone Crew Manager Heather Heath said: “This fire was only discovered when the occupant entered the kitchen to check on the cooking, but a smoke alarm would have alerted the occupants much sooner.
“It is fortunate that no one was hurt, as just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal. I would therefore urge all residents to check they have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their home.”
Heather added: “Cooking accidents account for more than half of fires in homes. Always take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended – fires start when your attention stops.”
You can get essential fire safety advice by calling Kent Fire and Rescue Service today on 0800 923 7000, email contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our fire safety pages.