News release text
Firefighters are warning residents to cook with safety in mind after an elderly man needed oxygen therapy in Crockenhill on Tuesday night, (12 November).
The warning comes after the man, thought to be in his 70’s, fell asleep on his sofa leaving a chicken cooking in the oven in his Church Road flat.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to an alarm sounding and two fire engines were sent to the property at 8.17pm. The alarm had failed to rouse the resident, so firefighters used a seven metre ladder to gain access to the flat.
Swanley Watch Manager, Scott Lane, said: “Fortunately there was no fire but the flat was full of smoke and we had to give the man oxygen therapy before passing him into the care of the ambulance service.
“Cooking accidents account for more than half of fires in homes. Always take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended – fires start when your attention stops.”