News release text
Sevenoaks firefighters are today praising the swift actions of a housemaster at Sevenoaks School after a fire broke out in a boiler room last night (Monday).
Two fire engines were called to School House in Oak Lane at 11.15pm after an electrical fire sparked a blaze in a basement boiler room.
Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: “Gareth Willis, the housemaster did exactly the right thing on hearing the automatic fire alarms sounding. He went to investigate and on discovering the fire, closed the door to limit the fire spread, phoned 999 and quickly and safely evacuated 50 pupils from the three-storey building used as school accommodation to an adjacent building.”
Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a dry powder extinguisher and a hose reel to tackle the fire. A thermal imaging camera was used to check for hotspots and the building was ventilated to clear smoke and fumes. Damage was limited to the electrical intake for the boiler and light smoke damage.
Danny added: “The school’s efficient fire detection and evacuation procedures most certainly minimised the impact of this incident and ensured the safety of the students throughout.”
Crews left the scene just before 1am.