News release text
Quick thinking residents in Broadstairs potentially saved the life of an elderly neighbour by alerting the fire service to a smoke alarm sounding in her home.
Two fire engines were called to Gloucester Avenue shortly after 3pm yesterday (10 June) when neighbours became concerned that a smoke alarm was continually sounding in a nearby bungalow. On arrival, crews gained access to the property and quickly found the resident asleep in a smoke logged lounge and led her to safety.
It is believed that the woman – who is in her 80s - had accidently turned on the oven containing a pan used earlier for cooking which overheated while the she was sleeping.
KFRS Community Safety Manager, Charlie Smith, said: “As this incident shows, accidents can happen to anyone but thankfully the bungalow was fitted with a smoke alarm which sounded and alerted nearby residents to what was going on.
“It’s likely that without the neighbours calling the fire service when they did, this incident could have had a far more serious outcome, so we encourage people to fit working smoke alarms on every floor of their home and ensure they’re tested regularly.”
The woman was given oxygen at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation before undergoing further checks by paramedics.