Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive
News release archive

News release archive

Archived news releases from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

This page contains a searchable archive of news releases from January 2013 until August 2014.

News releases from September 2014 and onwards can be found here:

Smoke alarm alerts resident to chip pan fire

Publication date
22 November 2013
News release text
Crews in Maidstone are reminding residents that smoke alarms really can help save the day following a kitchen fire this afternoon (Friday). 
 
Firefighters were called to Wykeham Gove in Leeds shortly before 2:15pm after a chip pan that had been left unattended on the hob caught alight. Crews quickly brought the fire under control with a hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to remove smoke from the property. 
 
Maidstone Watch Manager, Dominic Moore, who attended the incident, said: “The resident was cooking a late lunch but unfortunately forgot to remove the pan from the heat source when leaving the kitchen and the hot oil caught alight. 
 
“Thankfully there was a working smoke alarm fitted on the same floor as the fire which sounded alerting the resident to what was happening in the kitchen. Once it became clear that the fire was developing beyond his ability to tackle he exited his home and called the fire service.” 
 
The fire caused damage throughout the kitchen, including to the oven and extractor fan. The occupier was treated for slight smoke inhalation at the scene but required no further medical attention. 
 
Dominic added: “As this incident shows fitting and maintaining a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home is vitally important. Without the early warning this device gave the fire could have became far more developed before being discovered causing further damage and potentially greater risk to the occupant.” 
 
The following safety tips could help you and your family stay safe from fire: 
 
Never fill a chip pan more than a third full of oil. 
Pat food dry first as water makes oil sizzle up, which can be dangerous . 
If the oil starts to smoke don't put the food in - turn off the heat and leave it to cool. 
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly. 
If you have a chip pan fire: 
 
Don’t take risks by tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service on 999. 
Never move the pan and never throw water over it . 
Turn off the heat (if you can do so safely) and allow it to cool completely.
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon