News release text
Crews are reminding residents that ensuring your smoke alarms are in good working condition is essential after a fire broke out in a Hythe home this afternoon (Wednesday).
At 12:20pm a Naildown Road resident called 999 to report that her toaster had caught alight and the fire was beginning to spread throughout the kitchen. Crews arrived on the scene within eight minutes and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus began tacking the fire with a hose reel jet. A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to remove smoke from the property.
The fire is believed to have started due to an electrical fault in the toaster. Approximately twenty per cent of the kitchen was fire damaged with the remainder of the house damaged by smoke.
While everyone got out of the house safely crews needed to administer oxygen to the occupiers cat which was then taken to the vets to be checked over.
Folkestone Watch Manager, Michael Dennis, said: “Although the property was fitted with smoke alarms unfortunately the batteries had been removed, this could have led to precious time being lost in detecting the fire which had begun spreading to the kitchen cabinets.
“I cannot stress enough the importance of not only fitting smoke alarms on every floor of your home but also testing each device regularly to ensure your family is given the earliest possible warning of a fire breaking out in your home.
“I would also advise anyone unfortunate enough to discover a fire in their property to close internal doors as you make your way out, as this will slow down the process of smoke spreading throughout your home and could reduce the damage caused.”