News release text
A New Ash Green resident has his vigilant neighbour to thank for potentially saving his life after he fell asleep leaving cooking unattended yesterday evening (21 July).
The neighbour smelled smoke coming from the property in Millfield and went to investigate. Seeing smoke inside the house and getting no answer at the door, he let himself using a spare key.
He discovered his neighbour asleep in the lounge, so he woke him up and got him out of the smoke-logged house. The neighbour realised that the source of the smoke was a frying pan that had been left on a hob in the kitchen so he quickly removed it from the heat source.
It appears the occupant had fallen asleep after starting some cooking and had left unattended on the kitchen stove.
Two fire appliances arrived at the scene and fire crews checked the house to ensure there was no fire and ventilated the ground floor to clear the smoke. They also checked the occupant for signs of smoke inhalation.
Dartford Crew Manager Gary Miller said: “This incident could have escalated into a serious fire. With no smoke detectors fitted to alert him, this man has his neighbours to thank for potentially saving his life as well as his property.
“I would advise residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms on each floor of their home and to never leave cooking unattended. A moment’s distraction could lead to a serious fire.”